Tuesday, November 15, 2011

wedding cake cupcakes, OH MY!!!

The post about Wegmans and the little tutorial is going to have to wait because my slacker self hasn't gotten around to actually making the fab little thingy that I was going to tutorial about. So. There.   ;-)

Just like seemingly most every other estrogen enhanced human out there, I have become a total PINTEREST slave.  This Ben guy (not sure who he is but he sends me happy little emails telling me when people have pinned my pin) is an absolute genius! I love this man with my whole heart, well not as much as my husband but you know what I mean.


One day while desperately trying to pry my pin-addicted fingers off of Pinterest, I came across these pretty white cupcakes called White Wedding Cake Cupcakes from Recipe Girl.  They were described as the BEST, MOST YUMMY MOIST CAKE, so I had to move away from the computer to try them.  The fun thing is that it starts with a box cake. Yeah, I know you are thinking one of two things: A. "Thank GOD", or B." They can't be that good then."  They are easy enough if you are from the A. train of thought and you add enough extras that you are happy if you are from the B. train of thought.  Most importantly, they are so DELICIOUSLY YUMMISCRUMPTIOUS that you will just be tickled to your toes that you made them!  They make a big batch too, which I absolutely love. Plus, they were so good that I had to make an actual cake to see how that turned out and it was perfection! Dense and moist, full of flavor and with a spongy yet pound-cakey crumb.  


Hmmm, I wonder how many words I actually made up in that paragraph above?  ...it happens all the time!

I put this antique fork in the cake for the photo thinking it would look all vintage and stuff.  Sorry that it actually just looks like a dirty fork. 

Here is the fabulous recipe directly from the Recipe Girl site, because I'm sure you are going to want to give this a try!


white wedding cake cupcakes

Yield: 36 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 18 min
I'm not usually one to use a boxed cake mix and doctor it up. I'm more accustomed to using entirely homemade recipes, but this one caught my eye and looked good. These turn out delicious, moist and fluffy cupcakes- perfect for holding buttercream frosting.

Ingredients:

1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans (you'll need approx. 36).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.
3. Use ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Tips:

*Recommend: Duncan Hines "Moist" White Cake mix for this recipe.
*You can use either regular or light sour cream for this recipe, but heck... since it's a wedding cupcake and you want it to be as delicious and moist as possible, I recommend going for the full-fat kind.
*Add 1 teaspoon of almond extract (in addition to the vanilla) if you wish to have a different flavor.
*Using an ice cream scoop is perfect for getting the batter into the cupcake tins without spilling.
*You can also use this mix to make cake. Pour into greased and floured cake pans. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

2 comments:

Rene Foust said...

Hi Robyn they look so yummy!!!!!

Annie Wilcox Designs said...

The mysterious Ben guy makes me happy too!