Monday, June 21, 2010

Cushion for your tush

Disclaimer: We DO NOT claim to know what in the WORLD we are doing with upholstery and we were basically flying by the seat of our DIY PANTS! EDIT: PLEASE know that is my husbands big hairy hand, not mine.  Not that I could be a hand model or anything. I'm just wanting you to know!
This is the little built in desk/reading nook that I revealed last week.  It's MOSTLY done but not quite.  That area over there under the pendant light is a storage bench that lifts up.  We wanted it to be cozy and cushy on the kids tushes so we decided to make a cushion that would come off and then you could open the bench.  If you go back to the initial built in post,you'll see that that area has some odd little notches too it.  I'm sure a professional upholsterer wouldn't bat an eyelash at that but we did.  Well, I did, Matt's has too much testosterone to bat eyelashes.  ANYWAY, we went to Joann's and luckily the HIGH DENSITY foam and the batting were 50 percent off. SCORE!  Then we hopped over to our second home (Home Depot) and picked up a drop cloth for about 5 bucks.   It's a little one, 5 x 5 I think and we didn't know it till we got home but it was backed in plastic.  THAT could be handy with the 3 rug rats we have that don't think we know that they take drinks and snacks in the family room when they THINK we don't know it! Plus remember we have 2 boxers that happen to have droopy black liver lips that occasionally bring in miscellaneous items adhered to their lips after being outside.  I'm not sure but there lips contain some mystery substance akin to Gorilla Glue.  We find all kinds of odds and ends stuck to their lips unknowingly, IE: grass, dirt, a slug, dryer lint, bird seed, ashes from the grill, etc. The good thing about this is when the drop cloth gets soiled (probably tomorrow), we can un-staple it and put another one on!  The foam was about 22 dollars and the batting about 5.  I don't know how much the luan (that thin board material) was but it's not expensive.  Now the READING NOOK part of the built in is looking quite inviting!  EDIT: Several people have asked about the delightful (If I do say so myself) bird pillow...it's from the best store in the world...TARGET and it's Dwell studios.THANK you C.R.A.F.T. for highlighting our built in today!  You are so sweet!
I'm linking to these fabulous links: mmm button



21 comments:

Unknown said...

Your nook is just wonderful, I want one too! I love how it looks and I love the functionality of it. Well done with the cushion. xx

Julie said...

That nook is awesome! Great job!

Mom2fur said...

That looks great! Who needs a professional upholsterer when you've got a staple gun, right?

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little work/study corner. Adorable.

It's me said...

Your corner is amazing !!! just like you my dear Robyn...............love Ria....

Aaris Jackson said...

Where is the bird pillow from? I want one! So adorable.

Aaris

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Boy, do i need some tush cushions for this office chair I spend way too many hours on. Visiting from Met Monday~

Maillardville Manor said...

hi Robyn,
The nook looks amazing! Love it!
I was on my Houzz account today and I saw that you commented on my dinning room, I was so excited! I've been such a huge fan for sometime now and was over the moon that you liked my dinning room bench!! Thanks so much!!! and I love you office nook!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Looks great. You did a wonderful job and the drop cloth was the perfect fabric to use. Loved how everything turned out. Love & blessings from NC!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Looks fabulous Robyn! I would have never guessed it was a drop cloth. I just adore the birdie pillow - simply gorgeous. Your disclaimer made me chuckle =) ~ Stephanie Lynn

Wypipo...Sigh... said...

Wonderful job!

awal.ny said...

I love all the projects you share with us. That little space you carved out for your family looks like it will get lots of use.

I have an award for you on my blog.

Amy Chalmers said...

HI Robyn, Thanks for the follow and your nice comments. I am following you back--any girl that can wing it when it comes to reupholstering, well, she's my kind of girl!

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

HA!!!! I love it! It really looks great and I love that you have a disclaimer, LOL! I can imagine you working away there=0)

Have a great day,
xoxo,
Carol

Tina said...

WOW! Your seat cushion is FABULOUS Robyn! Thanks for the tutorial, you clever things:) The whole nook is just amazing, I love it so much. Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

Donna said...

Oh my gosh! I just love your nook! It looks oh so pulled together. I really love the white beadbord, and your drop cloth cushion turned out great! You are too funny! Love your blog :)

Recaptured Charm said...

That little nook is COMPLETELY wonderful, even with your husbands big hairy hand..lol It really came together very nicely. Looks so cozy. Job very well done!
Lisa

Velvet and Linen said...

Love it! You've created such a cozy place to work and hang out. Great job!

xo
Brooke

Rebecca said...

Nice area to do almost anything!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

What a great idea and you did a fabulous job!!! I love your wall color! Would you mind sharing what brand/color it is?
Michelle

Staci Edwards said...

Love that little nook! So great!