Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Visiting Friends and Beauty In The Everyday


My Fairy Blogmother (even though I'm older than she is, but with fairies you never know how that's gonna work because age is not relevant) was sugar-sweet enough to invite me to blog over at her delightful bloggy-land today. Come visit me here:REMODELAHOLIC and check out ALL of her other extreme GOODNESS in her archives. She is the best Fairy Blogmother EVER! I heart Cassity!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we will not find it. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm still tweaking the shelves of the built in...I don't want too much clutter because it's a bit busy with the walls in their modified SALON fashion. My father had picked up this crystal door knob set at an antique fair...(OH MY GAWSH, I just remembered the FUNNIEST story, I'll include it at the end, YOU MUST READ IT) he was hoping it would fit our antique pantry door because the crystal knob mechanism in it doesn't work, so it won't latch. Not really a problem until you find Mr. Pudgie McPudgerson (that's Cosmo's other name) with the lid up on the dog food container, going to TOWN. ANYWAY, it didn't fit so we've had it sitting around a couple weeks waiting for inspiration to strike. The other day I walked it over to one of the more sparse shelves in the built in. I twisted her little body and she sat up in there like a lovely piece of industrial vintage sculpture, if I do say so myself. And. I. Do.

Look around, beauty surrounds us in the most simple things. The way the light glints off the mercury glass candlestick. The sweet curlicue's of the flower frog on top of the rusty old scale. Shop your house with a new eye. Find some goodies and move things around. It doesn't cost a thing and it's FUN!

Posted by PicasaFunny funny story, or at least I think so!  My father has been restoring an antique Packard.  It's a HUGE old car like you see in the movies about gangsters and prohibition.  He's almost done and has recently traveled far and wide for specific parts or pieces he needs to make it as authentic as possible.  A few weeks back, a friend excitedly called him to tell him about a Packard Show he saw on the Internet at a County Fair Grounds in West Virginia.  Now remember, we live in Maryland and Northern Maryland to boot.  My father and the friend Google directions to the Fair Grounds and set off early on a Saturday morning.  They finally arrive SEVERAL hours later and hastily park and make their way into the Show.  The Fair Grounds unfortunately did not have a PACKARD in sight, however, they were FILLED TO THE BRIM with ALPACAS! 

15 comments:

Karen said...

Hi just saw your nook featured and had to stop by and congratulate you on your amazing use of space. This is such an inviting space and you didn't wast an inch of space.

Little Emma English Home said...

Oh Robyn, poor your father after such a long trip!!! He's missed his event!!! Hope you're dping fine, my friend. I'm having crazy days....but I'm okay! xoxo

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

Your poor Dad!!!!!!! Boo! Very funny for us=0)

Your door knob looks great, just where it is! I don't know if I ever would of thought of that, LOL!!!

Hope you are feeling well=0)
xoxo,
Carol

Carrie said...

Just caught your feature over at Remodelaholic - wow, what a nook! ;) I'm your newest follower!

It's me said...

Your poor dad...........Robyn ... i have a bad day today.....All day in the hospital sitting with my mother of 82 she had fallen, broken collarbone so pathetic! they can no longer get out of bed hurts so much, go back tomorrow. I am so worried about her ...


Love Ria...

awal.ny said...

Very funny, although I bet your dad did not think so at the time. I like the crystal knobs, we used several when we were building our home. We had to remove an old door knob from a closet door after my 5 year old daughter got locked in the closet for a 1/2, the poor thing. So my only advice is make sure they are on good and tight.

My Cottage Charm said...

Hello love bug! I HEART your crystal knob, I have several of them in a drawer and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them...inspiration hasn't hit me yet! LOL (too busy with the other bazillion projects I have going all at the same time!)
That was a seriously funny story about your dad and the packards/alpacas! Oh, I bet he didn't think it was too funny at the time though. LOL Poor dear!
Thanks again for our chat last night, we'll def have to do that again! I'll try not to talk so long that your phones dies though! ROFLOL (but it was fun!)
Have a great day my friend! :-)
Missy

Anonymous said...

HAA HAAHAAAAHA!! That is SO funny about the Alpacas, what an absolute crack up!! Am still laughing. Hey nice little sculpture with the crystal knob!
alicia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Funny story about your Dad! I saw your nook over at Remodelaholic and loved it. What a great job you guys did!

KimMalk said...

I saw your makeover, it is amazing. I like your little blog fairy story, too ;).

Anonymous said...

That's too funny! Your poor father! Happy 4th!

Abby said...

I love this, Robyn! And the Packard story is great :)

Kirsten Krason said...

Can I get your email? I wanted to ask a question about your home. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.