Monday, January 31, 2011

Grand Dad's Tool Chest

I've posted before about this sweet chest that my husband's grandfather made out of reclaimed wood and wooden crates and boxes.  He had it in his garage for YEARS.  It held misc. tools and parts to the antique cars he collected and LOVED.  Matt and I have always been attracted to it.  I can remember him showing it to me about 25 years ago!  Knowing our weird attachment to it, Matt's grandmother graciously offered it to us last year. We scrubbed (well Matt did and I supervised, lol) it down and vacuumed and wiped all of it's million drawers.  We've been slowly collecting mismatched crystal knobs to replace the mismatched wooden knobs and we are probably half way done at this point.  It's sits lovingly in all it's rustic glory behind our couch as a console table.  I love that when you open the different drawers they have great vintage lettering on some of them advertising shoes or produce.  (I we thought this re-use, re-new, re-do was a new idea?!)  She has a few more knobs than last time I showed her off, I figured it was about time again.  Do you have something that you hold close to your heart because of it's sentiment?



She may not be as lovely and refined as these apothecary and card catalog cabinets but we love her just the same!


photo from shutterstock


photo from ebay


11 comments:

It's me said...

I really like you Chest !!! lovely !!! beautiful memory !!! love Ria....xxx...

Jacqui said...

It's lovely, I love it!

Sara S. said...

Love it! Such a great piece. I have several things that hold a great deal of sentimental value.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Robyn,
I love your old chest with all its drawers, vintage lettering and especially the sentiment involved. Things that mean something and carry great memories are better than all the riches in the world in my opinion.

I have some items that belonged to family members and I cherish them more than anything I'd find in a store.
xo~Tracie

My Cottage Charm said...

Hey girly! That old chest is SO yummy! I like it better than the other ones you showed. :) Of course, you know me and crystal knobs! lol
I would love to find an old card catalog system..so pretty!
:)
Love ya!
Missy

Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn!

How did I miss this post?! I've been sitting here all morning sipping coffee and oooo and ahhhing over my blogs. This piece is a treasure. I love the history and charm! The knobs are perfect. Love the juxtapositon of the feminine with the rustic. What a keeper! Love the color, too! Hmmm... I have a lot of linens that were my grandma and great grandmas. One is an old GMa's flower garden quilt that they made together. I'd never part with it.

Thanks for sharing your piece! Love it!
Michelle :)

Anonymous said...

p.s. I've been married to my H.S. sweetheart for 17 years, also. Like that we have that in common. xo

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Robyn, that tool chest is soooooo cool!!! I absolutely LOVE it!

xo

:) T

mariondee-designs said...

Hi Robyn, I agree with missy 'cause I like your tool chest more than the ones in the other pics... truly! I love the colour and the addition of those crystal knobs. I think the mixture of crystal and timber knobs still looks great even though you are going to change them all. Infact I'd probably leave them as is.. thanks for visiting me and I've become a follower too! take care, Maryann

Katherine said...

I'm blog hopping today, so happy I found your lovely blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

Mallorie said...

I am in LOVE with this chest!!! I am a sucker for old/antique furniture...especially pieces with sentimental value!!! :-) Beautiful.